As part of #Farm24 we've put together a list of 24 agricultural facts to celebrate farming in the UK.
- UK cows produces 60million pints of milk a day!
- The red tractor certifies that food has been produced to standards across the food chain from farm to pack
- The UK produces 14-15 million tonnes of wheat a year!
- There are 90 different breeds and crosses of sheep in the UK
- The world record for the most combine harvesters working simultaneously on a single field is 224!
- A cow has four stomachs; Rumen, Reticulum, Omasum and Abomasum
- A pigs gestation period is 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days and they can have a litter of up to 9-11 piglets
- The National Trust could be classed as the largest farmer with 618,000 acres of land & over 2,000 tenants
- Every cow has its own unique passport!
- 60% of all food eaten in the UK is grown by British farmers
- There are over 20million hectares of farmland in the UK - that’s equivalent to 30 million football pitches!
- A pigs squeal can be as loud as 115 decibels - that’s 3 decibels higher than the sound of a supersonic airline
- In 2016 the UK produced 10,372 million eggs!
- In 1995 the potato became the first vegetable to be grown in space when seeds were germinated on the spaceshuttle Columbia.
- Over 75% of the UK land mass is looked after by farmers
- The first self-propelled combine harvester was launched to the market by Class in 1953.
- Approx 700 UK pea growers will harvest 2 billion portions of peas to feed Britain for a year
- In 2016 466,000 people worked on agricultural holidings in the UK
- British farmers contribute over £100 billion to the British economy every year
- There are more chickens than people on the Earth
- A border collie called Cap was the most expensive sheepdog sold last year at auction for £15,000
- The worlds largest farm tractor is the Williams Big Bud 747, weighing 100,000lbs
- In 2016 there were approximately 218,000 farms in the UK, averaging 80 hectares
- Britains major root vegatble is the carrot: 700,000 tonnes are produced each year worth £290million - that equates to 100 carrots per person!
Whats your favourite farming fact? Tell us @ruralinsurance
Sources: Various. If you would like to know more contact email@example.com